3 common myths about your computer and cybersecurity

We have seen the news, and perhaps some of us have been a victim of cyber-crime, stolen credit card numbers, and computer hacking. This makes us ask the question… what do I need to do to protect my computer at home or work? In today’s post, we’ll highlight three of the most common myths about cybersecurity so you can keep your computer and data safe!

MYTH #1:
I AM SAFE BECAUSE I’VE INSTALLED ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE ON MY COMPUTER

Fact: While anti-virus software is a very important element in protecting your computer, it does not guarantee you are protected from a cyber-attack. Be sure to also have these good cybersecurity habits:
• If an email looks suspicious, trash it and contact the sender yourself (“when in doubt, throw it out”)
• Stick with trusted and recognizable websites. Strange websites are a great way to get malicious software (malware) on your computer.
• Don’t be fooled by “social engineering” (when hackers pretend to be someone you know so you click on their email links). If an email looks suspicious, give the sender a call to confirm the email request.

No Anti-virus software or all the training in the world can prevent you or your organization from a cyber-attack. However, you can minimize your risk by changing your behavior and the behavior of your staff. A change in behavior is probably your best defense.

MYTH #2:
THE ONLY CYBER-THREAT IS THROUGH EMAIL.

Fact: One of the easiest ways for cyber-criminals to get into your computer is through existing software that is not updated. Companies frequently release software updates to address problems and fix security vulnerabilities. Be sure to turn on “Automatic Updates” for software on your computer or install the updates as soon as they become available. Cyber-criminals are looking for old versions of web browsers, Microsoft Windows, Adobe, and now iOS to take advantage of you and your organization. Please, keep your Operating Systems and your antivirus software up-to-date!

MYTH #3:
I DON’T HAVE ANYTHING WORTH STEALING ON MY COMPUTER – I DON’T NEED TO PROTECT IT.

Fact: Cyber-criminals are very clever in taking seemingly useless information and using it to get your personal or financial accounts. In addition, once they get into your computer, they can access other computers on your network or in your household. They can be very deceiving. Be aware!

They would send you fake links and emails that may look familiar to you, which is never the case. They want the victim to click on links to download documents, and once the victim clicks on that link, they will be redirected to some other malicious site where their credentials will be stolen. No matter what - keep on your computer, protect it from cyber-criminals, but most of all, start changing your behavior.

Credit: Part of this content is originated from the “LA Cyber Lab”