Q4. How do I know if my computer is running the latest version of software or operating system

How do I know if my computer is running the latest version of software or operating system, and how can I make sure it is always running the latest version? (Q4 from #GCAchat 21 May 2020)

(@SBRC_Scotland) For your operating system you need to look in Settings>Update & Security on Windows or System Preferences>Software Update on a Mac. In these areas you can see if your OS is up to date and if not you can choose to upgrade to the latest version.

(@EMEA_GCA) Consider all your devices and applications, there may be a check updates option, or search in settings. Set to automatically update if you can, otherwise make a note to check back regularly.

And here’s the latest from Apple (new ones announced just yesterday): Apple security updates - Apple Support

(@Cyber_Readiness) Response: To start with, most software has an auto update or auto-notification feature. Turn it on, it will tell you when you need to update and in some cases do it for you.

(@cybersupportnet) Response: In many cases, you’ll get a notification prompting you to update. Don’t ignore the notification! Or, set your device to update automatically in your settings when possible.

Knowing if you are up to date may be easiest with a smartphone. It will likely tell you if you have the most up-to-date version of any app. Pro tip - if don’t want to run the most recent version for some reason, then uninstall the app.